This recipe comes courtesy of our friends at SKORDO, a delightfully well-stocked cooking shop in Portland, Maine, with a collection of hand-made, globally inspired spice blends and a curated assortment of cookbooks, pantry items, and unique kitchen accessories. Visit them in their Old Port or Maine Mall locations, or online at skordo.com.
Snacking Cakes – baked with the goal of sitting on your kitchen counter getting nibbled on all day long until it’s gone. Ideal for break rooms, hostess gifts, and pick-me-ups. With the casual nature of enjoying this cake, we’re going to mix it in a food processor for easy clean up. Runamok’s Hibiscus Honey is the perfect way to welcome spring.
Makes 1 loaf pan
For the cake:
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick of butter, cold + cubed
- 1 tablespoon Runamok Hibiscus Honey
- 1 teaspoon Madagascar Vanilla Bean Paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup almond flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon dried hibiscus
- ¼ cup shaved almonds
- ½ cup frozen blueberries
For the glaze:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 2 tablespoons Runamok Hibiscus Honey
- 2 teaspoons Posy Sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a food processor (yes, really!) add your sugar, honey, almond flour, baking powder, salt, vanilla, and chilled butter. Pulse until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add eggs, and pulse until just combined. If your eggs are cold, cover with hot water for 5-10 minutes before cracking into batter.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment and prepare with nonstick spray.
- Spoon mixture into loaf pan, scatter frozen blueberries, almonds, and hibiscus leaves.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove to finish cooling.
- In the meantime, make the glaze. Add honey, powdered sugar, and lemon juice to a small bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- When the cake is mostly cooled, drizzle your glaze overtop and sprinkle with Posy Sugar before it sets.
- Enjoy cake at room temperature for up to 3 days.